Topic: Falconry  (Read 316 times)

« on: September 10, 2024, 10:11:40 AM »
With the addition of added hawks and owls i thing it would be cool if you could capture these animals with traps like real life and gain their trust by feeding them and have them help,find and locate animals aswell make them able to hunt/attack small squirrels hairs and all small varmint,and small birds with always the chance of them flying away just like real life maybe even help you with glutton and lynx thats all i have to say

Ps thank you all who took the time to reply and read this

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2024, 06:11:32 AM »
I’m not 100% on this, but I’ve personally never read any source to mention falconry in the migration period Finland.

There’s plenty sources for falconry in later times, in southern climates.

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2024, 10:45:07 AM »
Was just a little idea goshawks are one of the most used falconry birds around the world and are used for all small game hunting and sometimes used for animals as big as capricallies and foxes……2018, In Raptor and Human: Falconry and Bird Symbolism throughout the Millennia on a Global Scale, I–IV. Ed. Karl-Heinz Gersmann & Oliver Grimm. Advanced Studies in the Archaeology of Hunting 1:1–4, Wachholz: Neumünster. Vol. II, pp. 887–934.92(page 929) dialects mostly comprised the south-western portion of present-day Finland and, in Karelia, areas of the Karelian Isthmus and the western and north-western coasts of Lake Ladoga (see Fig. 5 above). The landscape in these areas is dominated by vast forests that are shattered by numerous lakes of different sizes. All settlement areas were near vast forests that were utilized for hunting. In domestic use, the most practical bird would probably have been the goshawk, which functions better in a forested environment and captures varied edible game – i.e. things to eat (see RICHTER in this book). Whatever animals were used and for whatever purpose, the birds required tending, and that tending required knowledge of the birds and resulted in a conception of a relationship between man and raptor. Falconry may have had some historical presence in North Finnic cultural areas, but there are no indications that falconry developed a signiicant role on a broad social base either as real practice or as an emblem of elite status or heroic quality. Falconry was probably a specialized enterprise, and its penetration into traditional symbolism seems to have been quite limited. Becoming an established cultural symbol requires meaningfulness – if not for the whole community, at least for a group within the community. There is a website that i cannot link in this