Topic: No further updates planned  (Read 13761 times)

Jugger69

« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2024, 12:52:47 PM »
Here are my personal 2 cents. I find it sad that the BAC mod is not updated right after a new game update release. I know that the mod's author can do as he pleases but I rather like the ideas behind BAC and would have liked to use it further in my actual game while at the same time using newer URW versions.

Its understandable that the mods author does not care to update a mod for a game he is not playing. On the other hand: its meant to be a "community" mod - so it should not depend on a single persons whim when and if to receive a timely update or not. As it stands its not usable - all the work for nothing and my save-game in jeopardy. :(

As it stands I think I will try to "downgrade" to vanilla and leave the beloved BAC mod - I hope my save-game will not be broken too much.

As a side note: I don't intend to anger anyone or to demand anything - if it sounds to harsh in your mind .. its not intended to (imagine a nice smile on my face while I am typing this). Gaming (and modding) should be fun without any pressure.

Brygun

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2024, 03:03:09 AM »

Its understandable that the mods author does not care to update a mod for a game he is not playing. On the other hand: its meant to be a "community" mod - so it should not depend on a single person

It doesn't.

BAC agreement includes others can take it over. One offer made was turned down. They don't have to do it either. Someone else CAN take over updating the mod.

When asking for a stable place for a large mods was treated rudely with terms like "battle" and "little" I've not much interest in chasing the dev's BAD attitude to his customers. That's right... modders are customers too! Even more so they gave more content for other players which had been for years a benefit to the dev. Breaking the greater gameplay from the large mod for a few duplicated items.

There are other things like the magic snow ninja's the Nerjpez have become entirely immune to snow affects. Used to be learning the Finnish tradition of skiing gave you an advantage over the foreigners which did teach you the culture. Now its more like a DM who got pissy people where beating his villians so let the villians cheat.

The so called "smithing" update was hoped to actually be smithing but was "shopping". The mod community for years, before BAC, let you BE a smith. So it was a pretty pointless direction to have done the shopping.

Across those the BAC had been updated.

Frankly, if I do play Unreal World I'n not likely to bother with the game updates and stick to the version that the BAC works with.

You see similiar approaches to communities in games like Fallout 4 etc where people turn off updates to play the game >they the customer< wants to play.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2024, 08:38:14 AM »
That’s funny Brygun. It almost reads like you do not want the game to be developed any further, just so the mod compilation stays functional.
If I understood your response correctly, that’s a peculiar approach to receiving updates to a longest in active development game in history of computer gaming. Maybe I truly misunderstood your response.

Brygun

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2024, 09:35:33 AM »
If I understood your response correctly, that’s a peculiar approach to receiving updates to a longest in active development game in history of computer gaming. Maybe I truly misunderstood your response.

You definitely misunderstood and badly so. Its funny that someone who has been around the community mod so much would think that way.

The suggestion was to have a separate key for a make menu that would be a place modders would use. Then any ongoing development wouldn't disrupt the large mods. Since I had talked about a place where BOTH could happen that is on you not understanding. Trying to turn it in not developing the game is one of the gaslighting things people.

I personally can just play, should I play, on the existing versions of the game. The whole point of offering the suggestion was for the benefit of others.

A customer coming into a store having a staff tell them its a "battle" and how "little" the customer means the staff is an asshole.

By all means JP if you're up for it you can take over the community work. Content goes back to Rain's ironworking were we could already make axes and axe handles. Along the way dehafting was added for when you got a bad result mounting a handle. The use of new make menu letters has happened a few times and each time has meant a lot of work was needed to keep Rain and mine and everyone else's stuff going. By all means step up and: GO AHEAD.

Brygun

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2024, 09:40:18 AM »
Go check out other large mod games like Fallout 4 and KSP 1.

Its a thing that people shut off game updates to run their game without updates that do more harm than good. That's a "solution" too. The suggestion was to allow both the large mod and further updates to coexist so its pretty "funny" for someone to tell a lie that it was about stopping development.

Brygun

« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2024, 09:53:38 AM »
From the first post in the thread for those who have missed the ongoing problems the game updates create:

Each game update may cause "collision" by taking up base menu numbers or changing some mechanic.

Erkka

« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2024, 11:21:55 AM »
A customer coming into a store having a staff tell them its a "battle" and how "little" the customer means the staff is an asshole.

I 100% agree with that. But I must admit that I haven't seen that happen in the context of this discussion about "please add a new hotkey for modded crafting recipes". I have seen Brygun making that interpretation, and then sticking with that feeling. Okay, I think that is natural for humans, so not going to continue more on that theme.

So, the way I understand it, this is what we have at the moment:

1. The discussion and considerations about adding a new key for modded crafting recipes is still open, a final decision has not been announced. I haven't seen Sami saying that the suggestion is already rejected, I have seen him saying that before making the decision it is good to think about it from many different perspectives to make a balanced and well-grounded decision.

2. Currently there is no-one actively maintaining the BAC mod. And if anyone / some people want to continue maintaining it, they are free to do so.
(And, both there in the forums and in the community Discord I have seen players mentioning that they'd like to have an updated version of BAC compatible with the latest version of UrW, but maybe those players don't have the modding skills themselves, or then they somehow perceive it as "a ready-made project handed down for us", or, somehow perceiving some distance between them as players and mod creators, while the fact seems to be that mod creators are players, and players can be mod creators, and that the magical "someone" does not exist, but it is always this or that person, you, me, them, everybody.)
UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

Privateer

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2024, 07:31:29 PM »
 UW mod making used to be about adding a thing or two that I felt were needed IMO in a version, or in my specific game play.
I've not played the last couple versions so I am uninformed as to what has been added.

Even though I put out the menu mod, I've never been of the mind that consuming every slot was a valid mod method outside of a specific version. We are only boroughing the keys that aren't used.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

anything