Topic: Books adjacent to UW  (Read 1622 times)

« on: August 12, 2024, 08:58:42 PM »
Good day my friends. As of late I've been reading books on norse mythology. While vikings and all things nordic are usually well covered in books, I wonder what books can I read on the subject of ancient Finland. So far I've only found this thread from the old archive tapatalk.com/groups/urwforum/viewtopic.php?p=22030173#p22030173 but it's 10 years old now. And in looks like now magic and rituals are getting more attention from academics. Any suggestion?

EDIT by Erkka: activated the link to the old forums. Due to automatic anti-spam measures new users don't have rights to post links to external sites, but that restriction gets automatically lifted after making a few more posts.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2024, 09:06:27 PM by Erkka »

Erkka

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2024, 09:20:16 PM »
And, in an attempt to reply; this one is what I found looking for titles in English:

Fibula, Fabula, Fact - The Viking Age in Finland

UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2024, 01:38:51 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. The book is available online and I even found some reviews here thomaskamphuis.com/2022/01/10/fibula-fabula-fact-the-viking-age-in-finland/
Almost dismissing its subtitle from start on, the question is dropped if we can speak of a Viking Age in Finland on itself. Furthermore: what’s the Viking Age anyway from another – i this case Finnish – perspective? Did it begin and end within England? The more we think about this rationally, the more ridiculous such a concept gets. Or is there more than England to be considered and what is there to distinguish within the different areas of today Finland when it comes to vikings (or better: viking behaviour).
And another review journals.uu.se/jaah/article/view/151/134
From an international perspective, Finland has largely been excluded from Viking Age research. Focus on Vikings in the East has instead been on ancient Rus’ and the lands southeast of Staraya Ladoga. Our understanding of the Viking Age in Finland is built on limited and diverse sources, heavily relying on analogical material, and, to an extent, assumptions. The current volume has taken on the task of merging contemporary research from across disciplines to present a collected picture of an up-to-date interpretation of Viking Age Finland, while also discussing the potential significance the concept applied in a native context.
The relevance in assigning a ‘Viking Age’ to Finland can be questioned; cultural traits generally attributed to Scandinavian Vikings are rare, and no Norse settlement has been identified in Finland. As pointed out by Ahola and Frog in the introduction, both as a geographical entity, and as an historical era ‘Viking Age Finland’ is a foreign construction.

chad

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2024, 08:17:46 AM »
There is a book I want to read called Homo Fennicus that is tangentially related- it talks about the early origins of finns and the history of the area at those early dates. However it's only in finnish for now.

anything