Topic: Stackable Items not stacking  (Read 7452 times)

Andre

« on: July 20, 2018, 07:45:15 PM »
Occasionaly items that are usually stackable refuse to stack for me for no reason that I can see. For example I have 2 different stacks of decent squirrel furs, 3 stacks of arrows and probably some other things aswell. And I'm quite sure that it's not some kind of stack limit, since I previously had 5 fine squirrel furs in one stack but then 4 normal squirrel furs in one stack with a single squirrel fur in a second stack. And if it was a stack limit I wouldn't have 1 stack of 188 arrows, 1 stack of 34 arrows and a third of 8 arrows.

I think it seems to happen once you reach the message for inventory where it tells you that you have too many items and can't pick up anymore/items will be automatically dropped. That might be what bugs these stacks out but I'm not sure.

PALU

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 08:31:31 PM »
For some reason some things just don't stack, even if they're labelled the same. Human bones stack only based on the culture the bones' former owner belonged to, for instance. Arrows similarly end up in multiple stacks of arrows labelled the same, and I think I've had 3 different stacks of hand axes.
There are also cases where things don't stack temporarily, such as e.g. having an empty bowl in the inventory and eating the last food in another: they'll show up as two separate bowls, but stack when dropped.
A third case is with plants, where leaves from a plant stack differently depending on whether the threshed plant was flowering or not. I think picked leaves end up in one of those two categories.

Curiously, things that did not stack earlier did when UrW was upgraded. I believe I had water skins that did not stack before, but did afterwards (the water skins were spoils either from wounded adventurer quests, Njerps, or robbers, as are all my water skins except the fine one have been acquired: I made the fine one, and haven't bought any).

Andre

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 06:39:32 AM »
Oh yeah, you reminded me of things like berries, which seem to not stack if they weren't in a group or something. Like you'll have 200 lingonberries from the lingonberry patches behind your hut and then you'll have 100 lingonberries from the patches across the river and they won't stack.

PALU

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 02:59:59 PM »
No, that's likely a different issue. Food that degrades over time only stacks with food at the same level of degradation, and those levels aren't having distinct descriptions, so the berries from today may not stack with those from yesterday, but they might, if those from yesterday didn't degrade.
As far as I can tell, leaves don't degrade, though.

Senthe

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2024, 12:36:34 AM »
It's especially problematic when it affects arrows and furs (aka stackable trading items) :(

If the bug is not getting fixed, then at least does anyone know of any workarounds that would help with this problem? I tried anything I could think of (dropping, hauling, pushing, etc.), but nothing helped. (I'd just sell all this stuff for jewelry, but it's not that easy to find.)

On latest 3.84.2:

« Last Edit: August 17, 2024, 12:39:40 AM by Senthe »

PALU

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2024, 10:56:10 AM »
Furs only stack if they're of the same size and the same season variety. I suspect you'd see them having different weights if you displayed measurements with the highest resolution.

When it comes to arrows I'm guessing they come from different sources, such as being generic ones purchased versus one constructed using different recipes. That's just a guess, though.

Personally I find weight to be the biggest restriction when it comes to hauling stuff around. When faced with stack restrictions (such as e.g. hauling loot from a robber quest and using beasts of burden to haul it), I use the fact that the player has a higher stack limit than beasts (and vehicles), so the large heavy stacks go onto the stack limited carriers, while the many small light ones are carried by the PC. Basically, I load stacks onto carriers in weight orders, starting with the heaviest stacks first and have the PC pick up the remainder (although it's best to keep at least one stack slot free on water crafts to allow for the need to drop a weapon or paddle.

Senthe

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2024, 06:49:56 PM »
Furs only stack if they're of the same size and the same season variety. I suspect you'd see them having different weights if you displayed measurements with the highest resolution.

When it comes to arrows I'm guessing they come from different sources, such as being generic ones purchased versus one constructed using different recipes. That's just a guess, though.

By "highest resolution" you mean imperial units, right? I'll check if your guess is correct later (I sold those furs in the meantime).

As for my arrows, all of them come from trading, I haven't crafted a single arrow.

They really seem to stack and unstack without any rhyme or reason. Sometimes if I trade arrows to someone, and later buy them back, they stop stacking with their own previous stack. Sometimes they don't stack already in the trader's inventory, before I buy them. Sometimes the arrows I sell stack with the arrows the trader already had, sometimes they don't. Sometimes I buy a full stack of 10 arrows and 7 of them stack with my previous arrows, but 3 don't. Sometimes I buy a number of arrows that doesn't stack with mine at all, but if I drop all of my arrows, then some of them manage to stack together, and some don't. I really don't get anything about this.

It usually works fine in the beginning, but the more belongings I gather and the more I trade, the worse it gets.

PALU

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2024, 07:45:10 AM »
No. Archaic units don't have higher resolution (pounds are half the weight of kg, but inches are twice as long as cm, so some units are smaller and some are bigger). There's a setting where you can select the number of digits (or, rather, decimals) the UI uses to display values.

Matti-patti

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2024, 12:10:52 PM »
The only time I have noticed furs not stacking without quality or weight difference is that player tanned furs don't stack with generated (from villagers etc.) furs. Been that way for ages. The only weight difference I have noticed in furs is stags and elks producing different sized elk furs.

The handaxe stacking thing is due to there being separate versions of handaxe in game.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2024, 04:06:38 PM »
I can check out specific stacking issues if savegames are provided. Maybe it's best that people who have troublesome non-stacking items send e-mail about the case beforehand and after getting confirmation from me then the savegame can be sent. The reason of items not stacking is simply that they are different in some of their properties, regardless of the same name.  And there are a lot of individual properties an item can have.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

anything